Login



Social Networking

Social Media Links

TwitterFacebookFeed

Sign up for TLA newsletter

Fill out your e-mail address
to receive our newsletter!
E-mail :

TLA's FEATURED ARTIST!





Tupac News NY Shooting of Hip Hop Icon Tupac 2Pac Article RETRACTED
NY Shooting of Hip Hop Icon Tupac 2Pac Article RETRACTED PDF Print E-mail
Written by Robert ID4276   
Monday, 07 April 2008 21:50

When the name of hip hop icon Tupac Shakur (2Pac) arises in news articles, people – especially those in the hip hop community - take notice.

There is a lot said about the iconic hip hop figure Tupac Shakur (2Pac), some true some not, but at least his name is still alive 11 years after he was murdered in Las Vegas.

Recently the LA Times  and Pulitzer Prize-winning staff writer Chuck Philips did an article on the shooting (robbery and attempted murder) of Tupac (2Pac) at the Quad Recording Studio in New York in 1994. In that article he mentioned that other hip hop notables and figures were aware that this was going to take place. The article was based on FBI documents that turned out to be fabricated.

The streets and the hip hop community will always believe what they want to believe about what happened that night in New York and most of that belief in the hip hop community is based on the account of the incident by Tupac himself.

We were sent this retraction of the article on Tupac (2Pac) by the LA Times and out of respect for them and their wishes we will post it. Although the files used for source material for this article turned out to be fabricated, this article points to some things that most of the hip hop community believe took place.

Here is the retraction by the LA Times

The Times retracts Tupac Shakur story

April 7, 2008

An article and related materials published on the Los Angeles Times website on March 17 have been removed from the site because they relied heavily on information that The Times no longer believes to be credible.

The article, titled "An Attack on Tupac Shakur Launched a Hip-Hop War" and written by Times staff writer Chuck Philips, purported to relate "new" information about a 1994 assault on rap star Tupac Shakur, including a description of events contained in FBI reports.

The Times has since concluded that the FBI reports were fabricated and that some of the other sources relied on -- including the person Philips previously believed to be the "confidential source" cited in the FBI reports -- do not support major elements of the story.

Consequently, The Times is retracting the March 17 Web publications as well as a shorter version of the article that appeared on Page E1 in the March 19 Calendar section of the newspaper. Statements that Philips made in two online chats, on March 18 and 25, and on The Times'' Soundboard blog on March 21 also are being retracted.

Among other things, the March 17 article and related Times publications reported that newly discovered information supported Shakur's claims that associates of music executive Sean "Diddy" Combs orchestrated an attack in which Shakur was injured at the Quad Recording Studios in New York on Nov. 30, 1994.

The information, which came from the purported FBI reports and other sources, said that James "Jimmy Henchman" Rosemond, a talent manager; Jacques "Haitian Jack" Agnant, a figure on the New York hip-hop scene; and James Sabatino, purportedly one of Combs'' associates, arranged the assault on Shakur because they were angry that he had rejected overtures to sign with Combs'' Bad Boy Records.

The Times now believes that Sabatino fabricated the FBI reports and concocted his role in the assault as well as his supposed relationships with Combs, Rosemond and Agnant.

Consequently, The Times specifically retracts all statements in the article, and in its related publications, that state or suggest in any way that Rosemond, Agnant and Sabatino orchestrated or played any role in the assault on Shakur or that they lured him into an ambush at the Quad studios.

To the extent these publications could be interpreted as creating the impression that Combs was involved in arranging the attack, The Times wishes to correct that misimpression, which was neither stated in the article nor intended.

The Times also reported that Sabatino told Combs in advance that Shakur was going to be attacked. The Times now believes that Sabatino had no involvement in the attack and that he never spoke to Combs about it. Any statements or implications suggesting that Combs was given advance knowledge of the assault on Shakur, or played any role in it, are specifically retracted.

In addition, The Times was mistaken in reporting that Rosemond has served prison time for drug dealing and was convicted in 1996 of drug offenses. The Times specifically retracts those statements.

The Times began investigating the accuracy of its reporting after William Bastone, editor of The SmokingGun.com, called Philips on March 25 to say he believed the purported FBI documents posted at LATimes.com were fabricated.

A report posted on TheSmoking Gun.com the following day provided a detailed analysis of the documents, including a comparison with other papers Sabatino had filed in court, and strongly suggested that Sabatino had manufactured them with a typewriter, photocopier and other materials.

Later that day, The Times posted an article on its website saying that the authenticity of the documents and Philips'' story had been challenged. The next day, March 27, The Times published a front-page story reporting that the newspaper had been the victim of a hoax and apologizing for its error. The Times reiterates that apology here.

*More on this can be found at the LA Times web site HERE

 
Tupac News NY Shooting of Hip Hop Icon Tupac 2Pac Article RETRACTED

"This site is dedicated to the legacy of Tupac Shakur and all the other souljahs who dare to struggle; alive & dead"

The layout, text and images on this website are protected by (c) Copyright and may not be used or reproduced without written consent of Admin@ThugLifeArmy.com.
No copyright is implied or expressed towards any of the pictures on the site except site images owned by ThugLifeArmy.com . ‘Hot linking’ of our content (images, text, audio and video) is strictly prohibited by law.
If our news articles are used we expect source credit and a live return link to be given to ThugLifeArmy.com.
The photograph of Tupac used on the home page is owned and copyrighted by Gobi. Photo is used with permission from Gobi to ThugLifeArmy.com. Many more of Gobi's photographs of Tupac can be seen in Gobi's book 'Thru My Eyes'.
Picture graphics and design are by illcomics@cox.net and webmaster@thuglifearmy.com (Selphie)

Thug Life Army is a division of Star Sound Music Group®
7336 Santa Monica Boulevard, Suite 800 Hollywood, California 90046
E-mail: Admin@ThugLifeArmy.com
Privacy Policy | Contact Us | About Us | Sourcing Policy | DMCA | RSS Feed feed-image
(c) Copyright 2002-2014 www.thugelifearmy.com. All Rights Reserved