Back in the days of the 1990's, rap was much more about making a statement and voicing opinions than it was about rapping about making money and women. These top 10 rappers from back in the 1990's were easily the best artists of their time, and possibly ever. Each one of these artists have a special place in the top 10 because of each individual's accomplishments in the rap industry in the 1990's.
1. Tupac Shakur - Easily the best rapper of all time. Most people would agree that he did more for the rap industry than any other artist ever, let alone in the 90's. With songs such as Dear Mama, Brenda's Got a Baby, and California Love, Shakur made the rap industry much more legitimate, even in the mainstream. In 1996, Tupac was shot four times and died a few days after. This adds even more to his legacy as the best rapper to ever live.
2. Nas - Lyrically, Nas is probably the best rapper ever. His lyrics and statements he made in his songs were what made him so big. His songs like Ether and Hip Hop is Dead have propelled him into the heralded #2 spot. Nas has done more for the music industry than most anyone in the entire genre of rap.
3. Jay-Z - Here is possibly one of the most financially successful rap artists ever. He owns his own club and part of the New Jersey Nets. Though he was, and still is, one of the most monetarily successful rappers, this does not mean that he sold out in any way. Jay-Z is still coming out with quality material, even though he has "retired." Though he started in the mid 80's, his presence in the 1990's is undeniable and should be considered to be one of the best rap artists of all time.
4. NWA - Here is probably one of the more unknown artists to the general public. They were a highly controversial group back in the 90's and for some time they were actually banned from all US radio stations. This did not stop them from succeeding though. With such famous artists like Eazy-E, Dr. Dre, Ice Cube, and others there was no way that NWA would not still be heard.
5. Notorious BIG - Also known as Biggie Smalls, BIG was one of the most popular and one of the "biggest" rap artists of the 1990's. After dropping out of high school when he turned 17, Notorious BIG spent his time trying to get signed as a rapper. Obviously it happened and he became one of the top rappers of his time. Like many of the famous rappers in the 90's, Notorious BIG also died at an early age due to a shooting. His presence in the rap industry will always be felt.
6. Dr. Dre - After a great rapping career in NWA, he quickly branched off and started a fantastic solo career. Though he did have an exceptional rapping career, he had much bigger of an impact as being a producer. He has produced many albums during his career.
7. Bone Thugs N Harmony - These guys could be considered to be one of the better rappers of the 90's. Though they used to open for good rappers like Eazy-E, they soon became just as big. They are known for their quick rhymes and, obviously, their harmonies.
8. Snoop Dogg - Here is one of my favorite rappers from the 1990's. Snoop Dogg has been a force in the music industry for years. Starting in 1993 with "Doggystyle" all the way through to "Malice in Wonderland" set to release in 2009, Snoop Dogg has been one of the premier acts in the rap industry for his entire career.
9. Ice Cube - O'Shea Jackson, commonly known as Ice Cube, was another part of NWA. After the disbandment of NWA, Ice Cube went directly into a solo career. When he released AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted, he successfully launched the beginning of Ice Cube.
10. Master P - Though most may remember him as Percy Miller, the basketball player who once played for the Charlotte Hornets and the Toronto Raptors, he also made quite a career in rapping. He can be considered to have the most successful financial career. He has played basketball, made many rap albums, started a record company, and much more that added to his overall wealth. Just based on his overall success, it should be fair to add him on the top 10 rappers of all time.